Thursday, July 18, 2013

The Fear of The Lord

Psalm 111:10

The fear of the Lord is the beginning of Wisdom. A good understanding have all those who do His commandments; His praise endures forever.

I was talking to my daughters on the way home from church the other day about what they had talked about in class that day. One of them mentioned fear. I then mentioned the first line of the Psalm 111:10. My two younger daughters fell in an uproar. They could not understand why we should fear God. They felt that the only one they should fear, spiritually, was Satan. I explained to them that Satan, like us, was created by God. Satan has to get God’s permission before he can do anything. I wanted them to understand that God was bigger and stronger than Satan could ever be. I don’t think I won them completely over to the idea of fearing God to gain wisdom but I do think I started them to thinking about it.

Like my daughters, we mature Christians struggle to understand the many dualities of God that make Him God. We get frustrated very quickly. To make ourselves feel more at ease about God, we minimize Him. We place Him in our spiritual box. It is important that we really start to think about who God really is. Remember that He is The Creator and everyone else, including Satan, is the creation. All Satan can do is to persuade us in one way or the other. He has no real power other than what we ascribe to him. God can completely destroy us. That is the true wisdom in fearing God; understanding who is King. The fear of the Lord is the beginning of Wisdom. Do you fear Him?

God Bless You.

No comments:

Post a Comment